Flight Report 09/26/2020

Flight and/or trip reports
mickhoward

Flight Report 09/26/2020

Post by mickhoward »

It was very pleasant flying day yesterday at Wharton and great to see so many pilots taking advantage of the inviting looking skies. I counted nine gliders in total:

Rich D
Tim L
Matt
Reed
Makbule
Mike
German
Ty
Mick

Mike took the first tow of the day just after 2pm. The sky was dotted with nice looking cumulus clouds so I was keen to get going so I took the next tow of the day after Mike. Tiki towed me upwind to clouds and I got off around 2100’ I had lost sight of Mike so I lost the only potential marker. The lift was very weak so I punched up wind to the next cloud and then the next cloud and it was the same story. I headed for the clouds to the south west but mindful of maintaining at least 1000’ when I would have to cross the runway. I picked up a 150fpm climb, which in the 10mph drift carried me to 2700’ on the east side of the airport.

This was the story for the next hour, punch upwind, find a climb, circle up to 2700’ in the 9-10mph drift and repeat. I was trying various areas around the airport in search of lift as there were plenty of markers as Tiki seemingly hauled gliders up one after another.

After over an hour I finally manage to get to 3300’ where the drift increased to 12mph. I think the best consistent climb rate I had was 280fpm while most were between 50 and 160fpm. I was flying with the Naviter Blade using it as my primary instrument for the first time so it was a learning curve. My trusty 6030 wouldn’t turn on even with new batteries! I like some features of the Blade but I am more comfortable with the 6030. That said I landed after 4:30pm so the Blade help keep me in the air for two hours.

Flying on days like this when conditions are soft is very satisfying. These are the days to defy gravity and stay in the air and play close to the airport. Days with a little more thermal strength and consistency are the days to leave the airport to go places, and we have plenty of those here.

I’ve been living and flying in Texas since February 2004 and enjoyed meeting and flying with so many people. Texas year round flying is hard to beat and it’s improved my flying over the years and I’ve been very fortunate to have developed so many friendships and had many great memorable experiences here.

This was the last chance I would get to fly in Texas for a while as we will be moving to Florida at the end of the week.

I will certainly be flying with many of you during the various future flying events and whenever I have a chance to fly at Wharton.

Stay safe
Mick

hmwise

Re: Flight Report 09/26/2020

Post by hmwise »

Thanks for the report Mick. Sorry to have missed you this weekend. Good luck and happy soaring in Florida! Hope to catch up with you sometime.

Henry

Rich Diamond

Re: Flight Report 09/26/2020

Post by Rich Diamond »

Glad I got to see you on sat. Mick before you leave . Thank you for all that you have done here in houston all these yrs. We were blessed to have your knowledge , and drive to push us to get out n fly . Safe travels down to gator land and safe happy high flying .
-Rich D