Wharton, 9/12/2020 flight report

Flight and/or trip reports
hmwise

Wharton, 9/12/2020 flight report

Post by hmwise »

Got to Wharton at 11:00 and began to set up. I was the first one there. The wind was from the north and the sky was just starting to have some cumies form and the day was looking like it was going to be a good one. By the time I was set up and ready to go we had 6-8 pilots setting up. It was good to see Bob Fisher again, as I hadn't seen him in some time. Most people set up on the north end of the field although some set up on the south end. Ty began shuttling pilots and gear to the north end and then Macbule took over. Thanks guys! I was the second one off. I hadn't flown in 2 months, so I was looking forward to it. The skys were looking good just an hour earlier, but now, at about 2:30, they were starting to dry out.

I had a very rowdy tow. Thought I was going to lock out a couple of times down low, but it smoothed out a bit higher up. Tiki did a good job dropping me off in lift and I took it as high as I could find it, about 2500 feet. Then nothing. No clouds to the north, but there was one to the south that looked good, and I thought I could make, so I headed there. I hit 700 fpm down almost immediately and was down to around 1500 feet and a long ways from the LZ, so I headed back, having found nothing. Found some weak lift over the launch area at about 400 feet but didn't feel good about trying to work it, since I was concerned about crowding the main runway. I had decided last night that I pretty much knew what I needed to do to land on my feet (I've been landing on wheels for the last couple of years to try and break some bad habits). Long story short, a 2-stepper with 0 whack! So now I'm one in a row! Tied my record! :D Looking forward to doing it again soon.

Henry

EGARZA

Re: Wharton, 9/12/2020 flight report

Post by EGARZA »

Thanks for sharing Henry!

Awesome that you had a foot landing

Efrain
Efrain Garza