Smithville-Taylor

Flight and/or trip reports
Nate

Smithville-Taylor

Post by Nate »

Short report. Friday yielded an opportunity to get in the afternoon sky with Mark V at Smithville. We decided to head up to Chris Z's house as Apache Pass is closed. Nice 50 mile task.

Like always, I was sans radio but trying to fly with Mark. We did quite well. Topping out at 6.5k and gliding over the pines. We share the second climb over the pines. Then a 3rd over hwy 21. Flying together is really hard. IMO it takes a comp mentality or at least lessons often learned in a comp. Above and behind is a great place to chase from but this tactic and position is deceptive. It can work quite well until it doesn't. The following pilot MUST follow the leading pilot close. What inevitably happens is the lead pilot hits a 800fpm core but the following pilot lingered in lift, maximizing a climb and though they only took 8 more circles before following, they will now not hit 800 fpm but instead light, broken, or (gasp) no lift.

This is just my theory, it could be Nate should use a radio.

This is about how we got separated. I could see Mark looking for a climb but low and as I was at base, I moved on. With luck, I'll get low later and the following pilot will pass me.

The ground got green near 290 and Elgin. I missed a climb under what looked to be a good cloud. At 3800ft I hit a decent 100fpm at the McD's in Elgin. I burbled between 3800-4200 for 5 miles and made the call to head to the west side of a building cloud eventhough it likely meant flying under the sinky side. This paid off and right over the old payout tow site, Wells Lane, I climbed from 3200 up to 7k quickly. Now the clouds where spitting corn husks. I buzzed under the next at 6600 and was at 7400 whe leaving the downwind side. Chris wasn't at home, I called Andy Z and later found it was an old number. Called Jeffo (tow and retrieve) and he said Mark was down and picked up. Drats, all up in the sky with no where to go. Maybe another 2 hrs possible but what would a 120ish mile flight get me other than a longer retrieve. I started back tracking but drift was real. Land in a field? Instead, I landed at the airport in Taylor for an easy landing and easier retrieve. Ride and cold beer there in 10 minutes. Then we went to Andy's farm house and caught up before making the short drive home. Good day out. Screaming good conditions.

Away from the coast, that 4-6pm window is magic. In the air at 3:30 and on the ground before 5:30. About 45-50 ish miles with the reroute to land in Taylor.

Nate

Re: Smithville-Taylor

Post by Nate »

Oops I did it again. :lol:

Cool plan unfolded. Got invited to dinner at Andy Z's house north of Taylor. Huge field next to his farm house. No fences, no powelines.

Towed up at 2:45 in Smithville. Screaming lift to 6400ft over the field. Met up with Mark V. We had already decided to pump the brakes this go. Lots of time to cover less than 50 miles.

The day was different in that the clouds were high, never got thick and would dissolve. We enjoyed some smooth climbs up to 7600 ft. We did all but the last climb together which isn't to say we didn't get split up between. "Hey, where is Mark?" oh, he is over at that cloud. Lol.

To make the push into goal, I needed 18:1, so essentially, I needed one more climb. This was at 5pm and the sky was already getting blue with few clouds over the blackland prairie. After a "low save" from 4500ft, a blue thermal took me to 7400ft where I had Andy's at a 7:1.

Arrived at 3000ft over Andy's at 5:25. My family wasn't there yet and Mark was a climb behind at this point so I searched. Down to 2000ft, I hooked in with some light lift. Soon some corn joined me :lol: I took that up to 6500ft and drifted north of the San Gabriel river a ways to scratch that 50 mile itch. Went over almost all the was to Cross Country Estates (Zimmerman's house) where I hit more strong lift.

At 6pm, I saw Mark coming into Andy's high and starting to burn off altitude so I started doing the same. Down to 600ft agl, I hit some wide lift and rode it up to 1500 agl before it drifted on. Never land in a field you can take off from. Made a super gentle landing for the family and folks watching. Then broke down in the huge lawn of Andy's farm house while kids and dogs played, wives visited. It was awesome. For me, flying generally mean choosing between flying and family. To have them together was a special bonus. Even my dog was there (Andy, I owe you a chicken :shock: )

The season is here. It is hot and miserable on the ground. Awesome in the sky. I am eager to go long or go triangle in Wharton very soon!!! Like minded folks please stay in touch.

Oh, radio rant - It is no secret I loathe radios. They almost NEVER work for all people involved. This was no different. My antenna was loose. There always seems to be someone with a loose connection, frequency got changed, you name it. That is why I like cell phones. I use a Sena 3s. $70, no cords, you can call you driver, call your wife, call your buddies and beg for a retrieve. The bonus. It ALWAYS works. There have been a few times where cell signal is hard to come by at 7000ft but I have made calls from 12,000ft. Obviously not good in the wild backcountry that does not exist in central Texas.

Go FLY!!

mickhoward

Re: Smithville-Taylor

Post by mickhoward »

Great report Nate.