Wharton Thursday July 9

Flight and/or trip reports
Tiki

Wharton Thursday July 9

Post by Tiki »

I always ask pilots flying xc from Wharton to report in that they landed safely - sometimes I have to text a reminder. Today Robin reported in safe landing and Mick sent me this text. They landed together:

Mickster:

“Thanks for the great tow.

Lift was pretty weak in the beginning and not that high so landing was likely at anytime. I was bouncing along between 1800 and 3000’ which rose to 4000’ and later almost 5000’. I got low a couple of times, I think 1200’ MSL and 800’MSL but somehow recovered.

I pushed a little too hard and then went to clouds that weren’t working and had a decision to go left or right to clouds. There was a bigger darker cloud to the right which was further away over a large forested area compared to smaller cloud clusters slightly left and not too far from my course line and the ground features looked more likely to produce thermals, so I went left but it didn’t work out.

We win some and lose some! It was a great day, and besides, I flew over 80 miles and had 2hrs 46 min air time - not great but not too shabby😁.“

Mick and Robin landed in Navasota. Matt (Nuclear) made it to East Bernard (in weak lift) on his Sport 2... not to shabby either.

All in all it was a fun day.

thermalcowboy

Re: Wharton Thursday July 9

Post by thermalcowboy »

Awesome!