Friday 6/19/20 - Impromptu Lookout Mountain Flight

Flight and/or trip reports
fonsi

Friday 6/19/20 - Impromptu Lookout Mountain Flight

Post by fonsi »

I had to travel to Huntsville for work, expecting to finish on Friday afternoon. We got done on Thursday, so decided to drive to LMFP. I figured I would do aerotow as foot launch would most likely take longer from a logistics point of view. Bought two tows and equipment rental and headed down to the LZ. Met with Dave, the manager, who gave me a quick overview of the place and basic safety. Falcon 170 preflight complete and ready for tow. The Falcon had the same landing setup as the tandems, so no dolly required. It initially felt weird not holding on to hoses. But short after rollout, we were airborne. Very nice and calm tow, with a few bubbles here and there but nothing bad for 11:30 AM. Waived off at what I believe was 2600'. I had no vario. There was some thermal and ridge lift that allowed me to stay for a few minutes. After a 30-minute flight it was time to land. I put the knee pads of the apron harness a bit too tight and my legs were a bit numb. So I decided to land on wheels just in case I would not be able to do a good flare. After an uneventful landing, it was time for a second flight but OD came quickly and after hearing thunder, ops were closed. At 13:00 flight ops resumed, but it was time to go back to the airport. So I have my punch card for the next time I go back there.

Good day overall.
IMG_3062.jpg
IMG_3062.jpg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 12556 times
IMG_3065.jpg
IMG_3065.jpg (106.61 KiB) Viewed 12556 times
IMG_3064.jpg
IMG_3064.jpg (55.73 KiB) Viewed 12556 times
Eduardo

Tiki

Re: Friday 6/19/20 - Impromptu Lookout Mountain Flight

Post by Tiki »

Nice story, but unless you sign your name we have no idea who you are “Fonsi” - a lot the enjoyment of the story is knowing who the author/pilot is.

My screen name is my name so no need for me to sign or identify

fonsi

Post by fonsi »

True. I just added my name in the signature
Eduardo

Tiki

Post by Tiki »

Oh that makes the story even more enjoyable knowing it was you Eduardo - very cool. Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

EGARZA

Post by EGARZA »

Thanks for sharing, it looked nice
Efrain Garza

Rich Diamond

Post by Rich Diamond »

congrats Eduardo