Lookout Mountain Flight Park, Sunday June 14, 2020

Flight and/or trip reports
null_void

Lookout Mountain Flight Park, Sunday June 14, 2020

Post by null_void »

Operation Pilot Lounge was a success! Over the June 13-14 weekend Matt and I drove to Georgia to pick up a nice air conditioned trailer and get a day of flying in while we were at it. I say that "we" drove out there - but to be fair, he did most of the driving.

We got up bright and early on Sunday morning hoping to get an early flight, but the wind just wasn't willing to work with us, and was coming over the back of the launch. Since it wasn't predicted to change direction until late morning or early afternoon, we went to do some work on the trailer hitch.

By the time we got back to launch around 1pm, there were a few pilots in the air and a single paraglider that was soaring. Most everyone launching at that point was just heading straight for the landing field, and some were breaking down at the ramp due to the chance of rain predicted for later in the day. There seemed to be very little lift, though we did see birds making their way upward from time to time. With the approval of site staff, Matt and I decided to take a quick flight anyway.

Always the gentleman, Matt let me launch first. I managed to grab a little bit of lift coming up the hill and got up above launch briefly. Matt had less luck, as it had moved on by the time he got off the ramp. We both ended up with short flights and made it safely to the bottom, though the switchiness of the wind at the LZ (and my own failure to keep checking the windsock) meant I had to run out a mildly downwind landing.

Since we were concerned that later rain might cancel our fun if we took the time to break down, head back to the launch and set up again, Matt suggested that we get in a tow. The dragonflies were scheduled to resume operations at 3:30, so we sat around for an hour waiting for that, and watching to make sure the clouds weren't going to dump a bunch of water on our stuff. Unfortunately, afternoon operations were disrupted by a gust front that came through, and we had to scramble to break down. We extend our appreciation to the other pilots at the LZ who helped to get both our gliders broken down in record time.

After the unfortunate weather had passed, were able to each snag a tow to 2500 feet. The air was smooth and the view nice, but by that time the conditions weren't soarable. Regardless, it was a nice way to end the day, and we celebrated by eating at Taco Bell, which Matt kindly agreed to because it seems to be the only vegan-friendly restaurant near Rising Fawn, GA that is open on Sunday.

Regardless, we both had a great time, a couple of nice (if short) flights, and I know that I personally am looking forward to flying there again some day!
Read Bixby

Tiki

Re: Lookout Mountain Flight Park, Sunday June 14, 2020

Post by Tiki »

Excellent report Read.