Wharton May 30-31 Saturday & Sunday

I want to go flying. Do you want to go flying? Let's talk about it here.
Tiki

Wharton May 30-31 Saturday & Sunday

Post by Tiki »

So both weekend days look good and I think it will be a really nice weekend

CU will be in Wharton at 11:30 on Saturday & Sunday. Hopefully all who want to go flying will come out. Looks like the winds will be light. I am not sure the condition of the field with regard to rain/moisture, so I will be going there now to check the condition and will report back later this afternoon, so stay tuned.

Yes, the webcam is still down. However you will be happy to hear it will be getting a face lift. We will be installing a weather station, thanks to Nuclear's expertise, and it will give us realtime information: anemometer/rain gauge/wind direction on a short pole and separate temperature/pressure/humidity sensor along with the webcam. Of course the AWOS is still available, but not everyone knows how to interpret the information and the weather station will offer a bit more information in real time. So be patient, it's coming.

Tiki

Here is Robin's forecast:
Weekend Soaring Forecast looks good (again). With High Pressure establishing itself to the N of TX. We are starting to see drier NE flow down in our Gulf Coast area. Both sat and sun look good for Wharton, with current models indicating possible pm showers in the area on sun so maybe sat better. Both days show lift 300-500fpm, with TOL likely getting over 5,000'agl. The drift is forecast to be 6-8mph on the ground and 10-12mph at TOL. Jury still out on clouds on sat - If the flow swings round more easterly then it is likely to pull in more moisture from the Gulf and we should see clouds. With the forecast rain chance for sun, there is (Duh) higher probability for clouds.
In summary, great forecast for all pilots I think. A punt down past Victoria from Wharton would be a fun flight or maybe an out and return to Victoria even better 🙂

EGARZA

Re: Wharton May 30-31 Saturday & Sunday

Post by EGARZA »

Great to hear about the camera!!

Safe flights everybody
Efrain Garza

Tiki

Post by Tiki »

FOLLOW UP...

I went to Wharton today to check the condition of the field. The field is amazing. It is about 90-95% dry.

There are small patches of moist ground but not what you would expect with all the rain we had fall in such short period.

In any event, the field is fine.

In any event, CU has flights in the morning starting at 10am and will be out there all day long.

Tiki

null_void

Post by null_void »

Sounds great. See you tomorrow!
Read Bixby