Ham Radio Technician License Prep (Starts 8/17)

General discussion of topics relevant to free flight in Texas
null_void

Ham Radio Technician License Prep (Starts 8/17)

Post by null_void »

As mentioned in the most recent HHPA meeting, I'm going to be running a series of study sessions aimed at preparing people to take the first of the Ham Radio Licensing tests. In addition to being a pretty neat topic in its own right, it will also ensure that the FCC doesn't confiscate your radio equipment for using it illegally to talk with other pilots while you're flying. Getting an initial license requires passing a 35-question multiple choice test from a published set of questions. I'll be preparing material to help people learn these topics, which include radio basics, electronic components, analogue signals as well as relevant law and etiquette. For the Technician exam these subjects are explored briefly, and so you don't need to worry about having an electrical engineering degree in order to pass.

Material will be divided among four two-hour sessions that will take place on the following dates:
8/17 (Monday)
8/19 (Wednesday)
8/24 (Monday)
8/26 (Wednesday)

Each sessions will go from 7pm to 9pm CDT.

Once people know the material, we'll take the test. Covid-19 has shut down a lot of in-person tests, but fortunately, online tests are available for people who have a web-cam and a decent internet connection. I'm happy to help people arrange testing slots (online or in-person), and to provide additional review assistance if there are particular areas of difficulty.

If you're interested, please send me a private message with a way to contact you (email address or phone number where I can text you are preferred). I'll be sending out a link to the session video chat once I have it set up. I look forward to seeing you all there!
Read Bixby

Tiki

Re: Ham Radio Technician License Prep (Starts 8/17)

Post by Tiki »

That first class was fabulous!! well done.

null_void

Re: Ham Radio Technician License Prep (Starts 8/17)

Post by null_void »

Thanks! Next class will be tomorrow (Wednesday) from 7 to 9pm CDT. It was great to see everyone engaged and learning the material. Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow!
Read Bixby