General discussion of topics relevant to free flight in Texas
Tiki

GO LONG in TEXAS Planning Session May 18, 2021

Post by Tiki »

GO LONG in TEXAS Planning Meeting

Necessary Prep Work:
- Removal of NDB Shed
- Install the 30amp Box and Plug once the Shed is removed
- Secure the Windsok to the current pole and remove extraneous NDB items attached to that pole
- We will recycle the antenna cable and use in the glider tiedown area. Anchors will be purchased but the cables need to be cut and stretched out.
- Portable toilets were discussed and agreed that the rental of two toilets would be a good idea. We checked into the cost and it was more than reasonable. With the addition of two portable toilets, plus the one in the CU cargo trailer and the one at the Airport FBO we should be ok.
- We may need to think about a couple more windsocks on the field

Shade Area:
-We discussed the definite necessity of Shade. We are in the process of building a shade canopy over the trailer extending about 12 feet in front of the RV/trailer (pilot lounge)

-Help is needed to measure the area, dig the holes and set the steel poles.

-Ground covering – a turf like material on the ground under the shade
The deck idea was too expensive. But it was proposed that we might we able to do a small ground level deck with free used or recycled wood found on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Folks are asked to keep an eye out on those webpages for such items.

-Seating under the shade will be necessary. We have two 20 foot long telephone poles that can be converted to seating. Some one with a chain saw can help with this conversion into seating.

-Tent Rentals were proposed however that expense is not in the budget. Also we have three hangars, two trailers and a shade canopy which should be adequate

As we get closed we are considering asking the local AG guy at our airport if he will spray our field for mosquitos.

Flying

-Tugs: we believe Sir Richard will be back to fly the CU trike and Gregg Ludwig has graciously offered to come out and tow. Also Rich R has offered to bring his tug down. We may ask a couple of other folks (who I haven’t spoken with yet) to bring their trikes. Also Zac Majors has offered his services to come and fly the DF. If anyone can suggest someone who might also be interested please let us know

-We want to set up some type of live tracking (Airtribune/Leonardo/Flymaster). We’ll find out which trackers pilots have in order to set something like this up. If someone is experienced in this area and would like to take the lead on this that would be great.

-Then have a Website or social media area where we can post flights and tracking

- We discussed sending out a Questionnaire to Pilots asking for their “Personal Best” flights, which tracker they will be using, if any, what their aspirations are for the week. Robin proposed this as a way to better help pilots accomplish their goals. We’ll also have a little blurb in there about assuming everyone is current with aerotowing and if not they would contact us. That put the onus on them, instead of us asking. We have already cleared that folks are members of USHPA.

- Robin says a mandatory meeting will be necessary either the first day or the day before. We have to put together a small lecture of do’s and don’ts on the airport.

- Mak said we need a WhatApp group to communicate with pilots so we’ll set that up soon. It’s an important way to get the word out.

Ground
-We need a person who can take charge of ground operations. Then that person will need two additional helpers. Please let met know how you can help.

- Robin suggested “tow tickets” in order to make the accounting seamless. It’s a good idea, just a little unhandy for the pilots, but Robin sees no way around that part of the pilot inconvenience. We also have to somehow keep track of which pilot tows. As I am recalling however, it is really on important that the tug pilot know how many tows they do not necessarily who they tow.

-We will develop pilot intake sheet to fill out on arrival with retrieval information. Pilots will get the electronic waiver emailed to them before they arrive.

- We decided it would be great to see if we could get some swag merch from some manufacturers (Flytec/WW/Moyes/Woody Valley/USHPA/Rotor/FlyMaster, etc) for day personal best prizes. If anyone wants to be in charge of that let me know. One year Steve Kroop at Flytec donated a keg of beer and we put a flytec sticker on the keg.

-It would also be great if someone wanted be in charge of promotions in the Houston, South Texas area.

- T-shirts were also discussed – designed specifically for this event and sell to offset some of the costs

These were most of the things discussed. It was hoped that people would volunteer their time over the next 2-1/2 months to get things in order. There will be future planning sessions as the time grows closer.

fonsi

Re: GO LONG in TEXAS Planning Session May 18, 2021

Post by fonsi »

While I have been unable to go to CUHG to help with the site, I have been thinking about the technology parts. If anyone is already working any of the details below, let me know so we don't duplicate efforts:

- Webpage: We have the www.golongintexas.com domain available to us. Right now I have it set up to go to Tiki's site. I can set up a separate site with pilots stats, photos, videos, tracklogs, etc. We can also integrate social media platforms

- Live tracking: I created a Flymaster group, Go Long in Texas, so those who use Flymaster can be added to the group. I hear that Airtribune is not great for live tracking, but we can set it up for those who use it. Other options include Livetrack24, Google Maps, and WhatsApp. They can all be set up based on what pilots use. There are many ways for people to follow the pilots.

- Tow tickets: We can use phones to scan QR codes... one QR code per pilot, and the person who keeps track of tows just scans the pilot's code when they are ready to launch. It takes less effort on the pilot. The scan is automatically recorded on a google sheet, with the name of the pilot and the time stamp. I have it all set up. I will print in water-resistant material (if we decide to go this route).
Eduardo

Tiki

Post by Tiki »

Wow you are the tech-guy. That's fantastic. I did set up a Go Long in Texas event on LiveTracker360

I would like to talk to you about your tech ideas - they seem really good - and I'd like to get feedback from some of the others. I think a special GO LONG zoom meeting would be great. Would you be available for that?

Nate

Post by Nate »

The go long website is not working. Can someone post the dates again?

Edit - It is the 15-22nd of August. 8-)